Providing first-class care
Port Stephens Council in partnership with Port Stephens Koalas has created a Koala Sanctuary to ensure first-class care to sick, injured and orphaned koalas. Now opened daily, the Koala Sanctuary offers visitors a unique opportunity to see koalas in their natural habitat. A visit to the Sanctuary also supports their long-term rehabilitation, preservation and conservation in the wild. Visitors to the Port Stephens Koala Sanctuary will enjoy:
Unique experiences with koalas in a natural and idyllic bushland setting
All our excursions start off with a tailored educational tour from one of our local guides on care, rehabilitation and what is needed for koalas to survive in the wild.
Stay with us
Opportunity to stay overnight in a ‘glamping style tent’ within the Sanctuary grounds
A new opportunity to directly contribute to the preservation of koalas in Port Stephens
The Port Stephens Koala Sanctuary incorporates:
- Koala Centre - visitor admission and guest reception
- Sanctuary Story Walk — a meandering 250mtr pathway offering visitors an immersive educational experience of the koala and its habitat
- Koala Hospital — take a look through the hospital viewing window as veterinary staff carry out *examinations and administer treatment to koala inpatients. *When underway
- Newcastle Airport SKYwalk and elevated viewing platform — a 225mtr elevated pathway with viewing platforms 10 mtrs in the tree top canopy offering unique perspectives into the koala’s natural habitat, a perfect photo opportunity! (Last entry into Koala Sanctuary is at 3.00pm. SKYwalk closes at 4pm)
- Fat Possum Café — offering a range of ‘grab and go’ eats and treats, baristas coffees and a range of quality souvenirs in a tranquil bushland setting
- Deluxe 4 star accommodation — guests will be able to wake up with koalas by staying in onsite four star glamping tents
IMPORTANT NOTES FOR A VISIT: A visit to the Port Stephens Koala Sanctuary entails a round trip walk of about 1km in length. All pathways and elevated viewing platforms are easily accessible designed for all ages and abilities. We recommend that you wear comfortable walking shoes, a hat and sunscreen for sun protection and drink plenty of water to remain hydrated.